Dental Implant Restorations
Dental implant restorations have revolutionized the field of dentistry, providing innovative solutions for patients with missing teeth. This advancement offers a tooth replacement option and replicates a tooth’s natural function and appearance.
What are dental implant restorations?
Dental implant restorations encompass a three-part structure, each playing a pivotal role in restoring oral health and functionality:
- The implant itself is a small titanium post that replaces the tooth root when inserted into the jawbone.
- The abutment connects to the implant, forming a support for the placement of the dental crown.
- Finally, the dental crown caps off the implant, mimicking the aesthetic and function of the natural tooth.
Dental implant restoration involves attaching the dental crown or bridge to the implant post. This usually occurs after the implant has had time to fuse with the jawbone and form a sturdy foundation. The restoration process involves placing the abutment (if it was not placed during the implant surgery), letting the area heal, and then attaching the dental prosthetic (crown or bridge).
Diverse Options for Implant Restorations
Three main types of dental implant restoration options cater to different dental needs and conditions:
- Single Implant Restoration: Ideal for replacing one missing tooth, a single implant restoration is a comprehensive solution that requires care similar to that of a natural tooth. Be it a lost tooth due to an accident or disease, the single implant fills the void, promoting good oral health and a complete smile.
- Implant-Supported Bridge: An implant-supported bridge is often preferred when a patient is missing a few teeth are missing. Implants can be placed to act as abutment teeth and replace a third tooth with a “pontic” like a conventional bridge.
- Implant-supported dentures (implant overdentures): For patients missing all their teeth, implant-supported dentures provide an exceptional alternative to traditional dentures. By using dental implants for support, these dentures offer superior stability and comfort, reducing the risk of slippage and enhancing the patient’s confidence and quality of life.
What to Expect: Overview of the Implant Restoration Procedure
Marigold Dental offers specialty treatment for:
- Implant-supported and assisted dentures
- Single-tooth implant crowns
- Multiple-tooth implants for bridges
- Implant-supported dentures (implant overdentures)
The overall process starts with a consultation to determine the exact course of action. Every patient is different, so it’s essential to get a comprehensive dental exam so Dr. Brar can understand exactly what is going on with your overall dental state, inspect your existing implant(s), and set up a restoration case plan.
The actual dental implant restoration process follows a meticulous procedure, ensuring the patient’s comfort and the successful integration of the implant into the jawbone. The surgical insertion of the implant involves anesthesia to make the process painless. The duration of the procedure can range from 30 minutes for a single implant to several hours for multiple implants.
For single tooth restorations:
- First visit: 30 minutes to 1 hour to take an impression
- Second visit: 30 minutes to 1 hour to deliver implant crown
Implant overdentures and bridges can take extra steps, which will be outlined during your consultation.
Dental Implant Restorations Challenges and Solutions
While the success rate of dental implant restorations is high, occasional issues can occur. We can address loose implants or damaged crowns promptly to prevent further complications. Timely check-ups and maintenance can help in the early detection and resolution of such problems.
If you need to restore a dental implant crown or bridge or need to complete a dental implant procedure after an implant has been installed, we can help. Schedule an appointment with Marigold Dental in Federal Way, WA, today to understand the benefits of dental implant restorations. Our friendly team is ready to provide you with exceptional care and guide you on your journey to a healthy, confident smile.